Haven't Filed Your 2010 Tax Return Yet? File an Extension!

It’s that time of year again….time to file your income tax return.

What if you can’t get it done or don’t have all of your material to prepare it?

File for an extension.

To file an extension, complete Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.  This must be completed and filed by the due date, April 18, 2011. The extension is granted automatically if it is filed completely and on time.  The extension is for six months and allows for the returns to filed up until October 17, 2011.

Taxpayers must also file an extension in the state they are a resident of and any other states they may be required to file in.  In Connecticut, taxpayers must file Form CT-1040- Ext, Application for Extension of Time to File Connecticut Income Tax Return for Individuals.
The extension merely extends the time to file the return; it does not extend the time to pay any taxes due. If taxes are due, they should be paid when the extension is filed.

Taxpayers that want to fund an IRA or a Roth IRA for 2010 need to have this made by April 18, 2011.

Taxpayers that are self-employed and want to fund a Simplified Employee Pension ("SEP") have until the due date of the returns, including the extension to fund this.  In other words, if you want to fund your SEP, you can file the extension and this will allow up October 18, 2011 to fund this account.

As with other tax forms, we recommend the application for extension be mailed by Certified Mail–Return Receipt Requested. This will provide you with proof of mailing.

ACTION ITEM:  If you can’t file your income tax return by April 18, 2011, file an extension.


Thomas F. Scanlon, CPA, CFP®

Tom Scanlon has over thirty years experience in public accounting with an extensive background in the areas of financial, tax, and estate planning. He prides himself on providing in-depth and customized solutions to privately held businesses and their owners. He is a Certified Public Accountant and Certified Financial Planner®. Tom is a frequent speaker for area organizations and has  recently been quoted on CNBC, Fox 61 News and AARP's blog. Tom also has been a guest columnist for numerous publications including The Wall Street Journal, Barron's, Money Magazine, The Hartford Courant, The Hartford Business Journal, and The New Haven Register. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the Financial Planning Association. Active in the community, Tom supports a variety of not-for-profit organizations.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
7 comments on “Haven't Filed Your 2010 Tax Return Yet? File an Extension!
  1. I truly loved the post. I know it’s going to be very beneficial to me. It’s always an enjoyable surprise if a post is both helpful and enjoyable! Thank you.

  2. Cool entry-cheers, sending this to my mates now.

  3. Ted Racik says:

    Thank you a lot for sharing!

  4. karen millen says:

    I like your article, thank you very much!

  5. Dan Keyes says:

    Thank you very much for your post! I am very interested in your points.

  6. You might have a fine weblog. I’ve read some of your blogposts and appreciated them.

  7. Katie Panell says:

    You make a lot of good points on this blog. Keep up the great work.

7 Pings/Trackbacks for "Haven't Filed Your 2010 Tax Return Yet? File an Extension!"
  1. […] due date can be extended two ways.  First, you can file for an extension on your individual income tax form using Form 4868.  The other option is to file Form 8892, […]

  2. […] Haven't Filed Your 2010 Tax Return Yet? File an Exten… […]

  3. […] th&#1077 original here: Haven't Filed Y&#959&#965r 2010 Tax Restore Y&#1077t? File &#1072n Extension … Related Posts:What to do if you Haven't Filed your Tax Return · Internet Tax Lawyers If your […]

  4. […] Scan th&#1077 surplus &#1072t th&#1110&#1109 time: House &#959f safeguard't Filed Y&#959&#965r 2010 Tax Return Y&#1077t? File &#1072n Additional ro… […]

  5. […] th&#1077 first post: Haven't Filed Y&#959&#965r 2010 Tax Restore Y&#1077t? Gather &#1110n a outline &#1072n Addit… Posted in Tax | Leave a […]

  6. […] th&#1110&#1109 link: Haven't Filed Y&#959&#965r 2010 Tax Return Y&#1077t? Gather &#1110n a outline &#1072n Extension … (function(){var […]

  7. […] See original &#1072t th&#1110&#1109 time: House &#959f protection't Filed Y&#959&#965r 2010 Tax Return Y&#1077t? Gather &#1110n a line… […]