Social Media is a very hot topic. Is it for you? Here is our (short) journey down this path.
“Either you get it or you don’t.” That’s what my consultant told me six months ago. I didn’t get it. Sure we had a website. I got onto LinkedIn and made a few contacts. Once in a while we would send out a blast e-mail. What were we getting for this? Not much.
Then one day I visited my colleague, Steve Pedneault’s website. Steve is a client of our firm and specializes in forensic accounting. I thought what a cool website. Steve told me to contact Brigitte DiBenedetto at IGRAFIX. I met with her and she spelled out what we needed to do.
- Update the website. Mission accomplished.
- Start a blog. You’re reading this. I hope you enjoy it. We have committed to publishing once a week. Even at once a week, it’s been the most work for us.
- Expand your contacts on LinkedIn. This has, and will continue to be, a work in progress.
- Set up a company Facebook page. Gulp! I really didn’t want to do this, as evidenced by our lack of “friends”. They seem to have issues with privacy that gives us pause.
- Have a simple marketing piece that talks about your process. This is hot off the press. We are using this with our clients, prospects, and centers-of-influence.
- Have your e-mail campaign tie back to your website. We are currently using Constant Contact for this.
- Make use of video and add to the website. We have engaged Jeff York from Buzzworthy Media to assist us. We hope to have this project wrapped up soon.
To get started, ask your friends and colleagues who they use as vendors. Interview them and check their references. If you are comfortable, start off with a small project. Brigitte and Jeff have been very easy to deal with. They do what they say they are going to do. What more can you ask for?
Expect some curves in the road. Change (for many) may not be easy. Projects may take longer than you expect or may go over budget. Think about what your goals are and stay on course when the challenges arise.
ACTION ITEM: Implement these seven steps to get started with your social media.
Thomas F. Scanlon, CPA, CFP®
I have been surfing about your blog and it looks really neat. Impassioned about your writing. I am creating a new blog and hard-pressed to make it appear great, and supply excellent articles. I have discovered a lot on your site and I look forward to additional updates and will be back.
I just want to say that it was a nice reading. All the best.
You are well on your way with social media. You guys are doing better than most!
I love the site, and how you tie the blog into the site (I’m working on doing just that).
Jason M. Blumer, CPA
P.S. I just became a friend on your Facebook fan page! Keep up the good work.
Thanks for contributing so much with this great content.
Most helpful site and information.
I’ve been into blogging for quite some time and this is definitely a effective and well written post. I signed up for your newsletter and shared it with my other blogger friends, so please keep up the informative posts!
Good luck on your blog, and feel free to comment and subscribe to my blog as well when you get a chance: Make Money Online with Dino Vedo.
All the best,
You may have not intended to do so, but I think you have managed to express the state of mind that a lot of people are in. The sense of wanting to help, but not knowing how or where, is something a lot of us are going through.
I was very pleased to find this site.