Do I have to File IRS Form 5500?

Employers that maintain a qualified retirement plan must file IRS Form 5500–Annual Return/ Report of Employee Benefit Plan.  Qualified retirement plans include defined benefit, profit-sharing, money purchase, and 401(k) plans.  SIMPLE and SEP plans do not have to file this form.  Form 5500 is due on the last day of the seventh month following the end of the year.  For example, a December year-end would be due on July 31.

An extension of time to file the return may be granted.  To request an extension, file Form 5558–Application for Extension of Time to File Certain Employee Returns.  File this request before the due date of the return.  As with all correspondence with the tax authorities, we suggest you send this Certified Mail/Return Receipt Requested.  This will provide you with proof of mailing.  An extension can be granted for an additional 2½ months.  For a December year-end with a valid extension, the return would be due on October 15.

The version of the form that would be required is as follows:

Form 5500―Employers with more than 100 participants.  This requires Schedule H–Financial Information to be completed.  The plan also requires to be audited by an independent Certified Public Accountant.

Form 5500 SF (short form)―Employers with less than 100 participants.

Form 5500 EZ―One participant plan.

Failure to file these returns can be very expensive. The main penalties are as follows: 

  • Up to $1,100 per day for each day a plan administrator fails to file a complete report.
  • $25 per day penalty (up to $15,000) for not filing returns of certain plans of deferred compensation or trusts and annuities by the due date.
  • $1,000 for failure to file actuarial statement Schedule MB or Schedule SB. 

ACTION ITEM:  File your Form 5500 on time to be in compliance.  If you can't complete by the due date, request an extension of time to file.

Thomas F Scanlon, CPA, CFP®

About the author:

Karen Tedford,

13 Comments on "Do I have to File IRS Form 5500?"

  1. Andree Krapf
    Jul 2nd, 2010

    Refreshing internet page and useful contribution. I’ve marked it to come back later.

  2. Diana Canedy
    Jul 8th, 2010

    I am a frequent reader of your blog posts. I liked the recent one and other posts on your blog so much that I have subscribed to the blog’s RSS feed in Thunderbird. Thank you. Time well spent on this post.

  3. reklama google
    Jul 10th, 2010

    Super site, and nice post.

  4. Twitter marketing Software
    Jul 12th, 2010

    I loved it .

  5. tanie pozycjonowanie
    Jul 15th, 2010

    Great text and nice site.

  6. Stop Foreclosure
    Jul 16th, 2010

    I am happy to have found your site. The information is right on.

  7. Jaclyn Maupin
    Jul 18th, 2010

    How did you make this template? I got a blog as well but people don’t stay on very long.

  8. Norene Self
    Jul 19th, 2010

    This site is so good that i will honor it with my comment!

  9. income tax calculator
    Jul 31st, 2010

    Do you have a twitter?

  10. tom-scanlon
    Aug 1st, 2010

    No, we don’t.

  11. Evolving Enterprise Applications 2009
    Aug 6th, 2010

    […] Do I have to File IRS Form 5500? | Borgida & Company, P.C. […]

  12. sooz
    Aug 18th, 2010

    Would a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation need to file form I.R.S. 5500, if on its 403(b) program there is no contribution from the employer, but only voluntary contributions of employees?

  13. tom-scanlon
    Aug 18th, 2010

    Non-profit organizations that maintain a 403(b) plan are required to file Form 5500. Smaller 403 (b) plans (generally fewer than 100 employees) are able to use Form 5500-SF (Short Form 5500) which is only 2 pages.

    Tom Scanlon

Comments closed.